Wednesday, December 2, 2009

In Response to my Senator

Recently, I sent an e-mail to my state senators encouraging them to support single-payer health care. I knew it was a lot to ask from Idaho's conservative representatives, but what the heck. What I got in in return was a form letter, full of misinformation, telling me why that wasn't possible. This was my response...


December 2, 2009

The Honorable Mike Crapo

United States Senate

Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Senator Crapo:

Thank you for your correspondence regarding health care reform and for voicing your concerns with the single-payer system. I am grateful that reform is a priority for you and I certainly believe that you can set aside partisan politics and get something done for us. My hope is that you desire to do what is right for ALL of Idaho.

I don’t know this to be true, but my concern is that these weekly visits have consisted of little more than preaching to the choir. I wonder how representative they really are. Would a Government option work better than single-payer? You see, I’m not afraid of the “government” because, like you, I work for them. Also, if our constitution is accurate it tells me that you and I and the farmer in Aberdeen ARE the government. What I AM afraid of is standing by and allowing my friends and neighbors to suffer because they don’t share my privilege or have the same access to power. Let me give you a couple of examples… A friend of mine just had a $40K broken arm that required a family member to put their car as collateral on a loan to help them stay afloat. Another, because of pre-existing conditions, pays almost $4K per month for insurance. These aren’t people with their hands out wanting something for nothing. They are hard working men and women who want to do the right thing, but who are slowly being destroyed by a system that has gotten completely out of hand.

Once upon a time I believed in “free” markets. The truth is… I haven’t seen any happy endings there. Unregulated markets, driven by greed, end in collapse. Our current economic situation is proof of that. I know that there are no easy answers. I just want to be sure that we’re doing right by EVERYONE, not just a select few. I know that this is going to require personal sacrifice and it is one that I am willing to make.

In conclusion, please know that I am appreciative of your service and don’t envy the difficult decisions that you have to make. I just want to remind you that behind every one of those choices are real people whose lives are profoundly impacted by them.

Sincerely,

Gary P. Winterholler

I love our political process! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment