Monday, October 19, 2009

An Unlikely Revolutionary

I wouldn't be the first person you'd think of to shout for reform or revolution. It even catches me off guard. After all, why stir things up. I've got it pretty good. I'm a white Christian male, educated, with a good job and who is, from all appearances, living the American Dream. In a word... PRIVILEGED!

My evolution to revolution has been gradual. I mean how does one make the journey from Reagan-Era Republican (and a Marine to boot) to Democratic Socialist ready to give up everything to see justice prevail? Could it be as simple as I'm a Gemini? Or, are the same values that led me to serve my country way back then still at play? Liberty, Justice, Equality! Causes that I was willing to lay down my life for. And what of my religious upbringing? Does that come into play? Didn't Christ say, "Blessed are the poor, the mourners, the hungry..." and doesn't the same book instructs his followers to "Learn to do good; Seek justice, Reprove the ruthless, Defend the orphan, Plead for the widow. " Personally, I think it's the culmination of all of these teachings and experiences.

I hope to use this Blog to bring attention to injustice in whatever guise it wears and as a platform to call people to action. I don't believe that the battle has been lost. We HAVE NOT been defeated and if we stand together we CAN bring about real change, "Change That Works"!

No comments:

Post a Comment